ASMEA welcomes requests by its members to review books for our website and newsletter. We also welcome inquiries by publishers who have new books on the market in the fields of Middle Eastern, African and Strategic Studies and seek scholars to provide reviews.
If you are a member of ASMEA and are interested in writing a review or, if you are a publisher interested in providing books for review, please send an email to [email protected] and include the following information:
Also, please indicate the fields you are interested in/publish in. Only ASMEA members are permitted to write book reviews for the association. Decisions about who may review books for ASMEA are made by the Book Review Editor. All book reviews become the property of ASMEA (see below). All books submitted for review become the property of ASMEA or its reviewers.
If you would like to send us a copy of your book for review, please mail it to:
Book Review Editor
2100 M St, NW, 170-291
Washington, D.C. 20037
When writing book reviews please abide by the following guidelines:
1. Deadlines: All deadlines must be met in order to provide timely publication of your reviews. Please honor the due date assigned by the Book Review Editor. Typically, the deadline is within 30 days of your receipt of a book.
2. Content and tone: Please consider how the book contributes to the field, whether it represents sound scholarship, and if it is clearly written, free of jargon, and worth the time of a prospective reader. Keep your tone polite and substantiate any positive or negative criticism.
3. Footnotes: When using direct quotes please provide exact pagination in the body of the review only. Footnotes are not to be used. If a foreign-language quotation is translated, please include the original text on a separate page.
4. Bibliographic Citation: Please cite all bibliographic information at the top of the review.
5. Names: Provide the full names of any persons you mention in the review.
6. Length: 750 word maximum.
7. Name, City and State: Please include your name and all contact data (address, phone, e-mail) at the top of your review.
All reviews commissioned by ASMEA are the exclusive property of ASMEA. Reviews are considered a work made-for-hire. All copyright rights shall be owned by and be in the name of ASMEA. ASMEA grants review authors the right to reprint their reviews in any format that they choose, without the payment of royalties, subject to giving proper credit to the original publication through ASMEA. ASMEA reviews may be copied for non-profit educational use provided proper credit is given to the review author and ASMEA. Reviewers should agree not to write a separate review of the same work for other publications.