October 27 – 29, 2016 | Key Bridge Marriott Hotel | Washington, D.C.
The 2016 Conference featured:
- KEYNOTE ADDRESS: Prof. Martin Kramer, President of Shalem College and author of Ivory Towers on Sand, spoke on “The Pathology of Middle Eastern Studies.” View the video and a transcript of the Keynote Address.
- OPENING REMARKS: H.E. Ambassador Taye Atske-Selassie, State Minister for Political Affairs in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia.
- Panel presentations on scholarly topics from Middle Eastern and African studies, and related disciplines.
- Banquet luncheon and professional networking reception.
- Roundtable discussions on “Turkey in the Aftermath of the Failed Coup”; “Iran’s Global Reach”; “Round Pegs, Square Holes: The Challenges to Military and Academic Collaboration” (sponsored by Marine Corps University Press); “Assessing Iran-Saudi Tensions”; and “Fire in the Desert: Jihad in the Sahel.”
- Film screenings.
- Displays by publishers of the latest academic titles.
Check out winners of the Research Grant, Moroccan Studies Research Grant, and Travel Grant programs and Best Paper Prizes here.